
Castle Gayenhofen
Between 1222 and 1245, the Counts of Werdenberg built a castle complex as the center of the dominion of Bludenz. This made Bludenz a fortified town in Vorarlberg in the Middle Ages, alongside Bregenz and Feldkirch.
Detailed description
The district captaincy Bludenz was housed since the establishment of the political administrative authorities in 1868 in the castle Gayenhofen. From 1929 to the autumn of 1963, however, she had another building available. In 1956, when many refugees from Hungary poured into the country, it served as accommodation for asylum seekers. In 1959, the city of Bludenz then transferred the castle, which belonged to it since 1937, to the province of Vorarlberg free of charge with the condition that it be used as an office building for the district headquarters.
As a result, the listed building was rebuilt in about three years of construction. On October 26, 1963, finally, the current office building of the District Commission Bludenz was officially handed over its purpose.
NOTE: The district captaincy Bludenz can only be viewed from the outside as it is a public authority. A tour of the interior is therefore unfortunately not possible.
Address
Castle Gayenhofen
Schloß-Gayenhof-Platz 2
6700 Bludenz